Thursday, September 23, 2010
In continuation to my post Sleeping Poorly?, here's five more of the probable pitfalls as to why you are sleeping poorly:
6. Feeling wired at bedtime. Give your brain a chance to wind down from the day by turning off your electronics a couple of hours before bedtime. Readind interesting content on the web or watching an interesting program just before bedtime could stimulate the mind and keep you awake.
7. Children's needs getting in the way. For most moms who have small children, this could be the culprit. Experts suggest putting children to bed drowsy and not asleep so that they can learn to fall asleep on their own.
8. Disruptions from allergies to anxiety. Allergies and anxiety also contribute to the quality of sleep. COnsult a physician have your anxiety and allergies treated.
9. Working the night shift. We all know about bilogical clocks. Working the night shift always messes them up. To get good sleep during the day, mimick nighttime conditions: make your room as dark and as quiet as possible. Eye masks and earplugs will help achieve this effect.
10. Sleeping in on weekends. Although many of us see weekends as an excuse to sleep in, it is not entirely helpful because it disrupts the sleep-wake-cycle. You tend to sleep in the wee hours of the morning on Saturdays and Sundays so that you are tired all over again on Monday. Go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday to achieve maximum restfulness.
So now you know. I hope these 10 pitfalls have made you more aware of your activities and will help you get better sleep. Sweet dreams everyone!