An eco bag for your groceries!
When you go to the grocery store, do you use the plastic bags provided by the supermarket or do you bring your own? There are a hundred reasons why you should bring your own bags when you go to the supermarket. If you think it is unfashionable, think again! There are already a large number of reusable bags - or Eco Bags - out there with hip and colorful designs to suit your taste. If I haven't convinced you yet, then read on.
There is an ongoing call to reduce, reuse, recycle - your 3R's. Even Jack Johnson has a song for that! But are you doing it yourself? If you are into it butÂ keep on forgetting about it, let me tell you some dreadful facts on those plastic bags so that you can finally say No To Plastic Bags.
- Your plastic grocery bags are made of polyethylene, a petroleum product, and its production contributes to air pollution and energy consumption.
- Each year, four to five trillion of plastic bags are manufactured
- Americans use over 380 billion polyethylene bags per year and throw away approximately 100 billion polyethylene bags per year
- The Brits use an estimated 10 billion plastic carrier bags a year.
- Of the 100 trillion plasctic bags, only 1% are recycled.
- It takes some 1000 years for polyethylene bags to break down
- As polyethylene breaks down, toxic substances leach into the soil and enter the food chain
- Approximately 1 billion seabirds and mammals die per year by ingesting plastic bags
- Plastic bags are often mistaken as food by marine mammals. 100,000 marine mammals die yearly by eating plastic bags.
- These animals suffer a painful death, the plastic wraps around their intestines or they choke to death
- Plastic bag choke landfills
- Plastic bags are carried by the wind into forests, ponds, rivers, and lakes
- There are alternatives to plastic bags. All of this death and pollution is unnecessary
So the next time you shop, you might want to grab first an Eco Bag before heading to the supermarket. If all of us would stop using plastic bags, then the world would be a better place to live in.