Friday, April 8, 2011

Direct Hire and Working Abroad

So you are a direct hire? You found a job overseas and you found it yourself. The pay is good, the airfare and work permit will be taken cared of by your new employer. You need not pay ridiculous fees because a recruitment agency was not involved in it. Your salary won't be deducted with all those fees from the agency. Well, good for you! But do you know that there are a few things that you still need to do before you leave the country? There are some who are directly hired overseas who don't know some of the SOPs in the Philippines when working abroad. I guess the only advantage that being employed via an agency is that they will take care of everything. So for the benefit of those directly hired overseas, here are some of the things that you need to do before you pack your bags.

The most common sense thing to do is to go to the nearest POEA Office in your area. They will be giving you a checklist of the requirements that you need to accomplish before leaving the country. These are passport, work visa or work permit, employment contract verified or authenticated by the Philippine embassy or Philippine consulate in the country of your destination. You are also required to undergo a medical examination by a DOH-accredited clinic or hospital and a pre-departure orientation seminar (PDOS), which is conducted by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA).

There are also some fees that you need to be aware of. 
POEA Processing Fee - US$100 or its peso equivalent
OWWA membership fee - US$25 or its peso equivalent
OWWA Medicare - Php900.00 

Once you have accomplished paying the fees and completed the requirements, you will be issued in return an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC).  This is very important as it will serve as your exit travel clearance at the airport and immigration desks. The OEC also exempts any OFW from paying the travel tax and airport terminal fees. Along with the OEC is a free OFW electron ID card or e-Card. This will serve as your permanent identification card to facilitate your departure and access to services as OFW.

So there. I wish you good luck in your new job abroad.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive


Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 05 September 2008.

Just About Anything | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Ferris Wheel Fantasy Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates